Treating Fibromyalgia and Chronic Fatigue
Fibromyalgia (FM) and Chronic Fatigue Syndrome (CFS) are serious chronic disorders afflicting millions of Americans, mostly women in the prime of their lives. FM causes widespread muscle pain, fatigue, and painful tender points. CFS causes profound exhaustion. People with FM and CFS often experience problems with sleep, muscle and joint stiffness, anxiety, and many other symptoms.
Conventional VS State Of The Art Treatment
Unfortunately, today’s conventional treatments primarily mask symptoms. This has included the extensive use of pain medications and antidepressants. The underlying causes are simply not treated. FM and CFS are not psychological disorders. They have real causes which when discovered can be successfully treated.
The onset of FM/CFS may be difficult to determine but is often linked to an injury, physical or emotional trauma, or infection. Diagnosis and treatment requires a thorough assessment and great medical expertise. I am a specially trained physician that uncovers and confirms your diagnosis with a thorough history and physical, assessment of all symptoms and tender points, and extensive key blood tests.
Upon diagnosis of FM or CFS, I will begin a strategic course of treatment focusing on:
- Sleep – Optimizing the quality of deep stage 3 and 4 sleep to recharge the hypothalamus and pituitary
- Boost the Cellular Components – the Mitochondria and Immune System
The mitochondria are the power plants of our cells. Most people suffering from
chronic conditions experience poorly functioning mitochondria. As a result the
body lacks the energy needed to carry on normal bodily functions including the
immune system. Boost your mitochondrial activity will increase energy,
metabolism, and your immune system.
- Balance your Hormones and Nutrition
Hormones are the most abundant and influential bio-chemicals in our bodies.
Hormones regulate numerous functions including growth, metabolism, and
reproduction. Chronic stress – physical, emotional or environmental – can cause
hormonal imbalances that result in a vicious cycle of physical and emotional
collapse. FM and CFS have been shown to result from serious hormonal
deficiencies. I carefully assesses your hormonal – especially thyroid – and
nutritional levels for deficiencies. I use bioidentical hormones (BHRT) as well as
pharmaceutical grade nutritionalsupplements necessary for proper muscle function
and tissue repair. BHRT are plant derived natural hormones that are molecule for
molecule identical to those produced by our own body. They are considered safe
and effective and prescribed in amounts customized specifically for your unique
requirements. Restored hormonal balance improves your immune system, mood,
energy, cognitive function and overall sense of well being.
- Address, Attack, and Eradicate Occult Infections, Heavy Metal Toxicity, and Food Allergies
Hidden (occult) infections, heavy metal toxicity (mercury, lead, etc.), and food allergies are often present in patients with FM and CFS. Typically these insidious offenders go undetected, creating a constant drain on your body’s reserves and significantly speed up the biological aging process. I investigate far beyond the typical medical approach. Rather than treat the symptoms, I will uncover through extensive laboratory testing the causes and eliminate the offenders through safe, proven, science-based medical treatment approaches.
For most, the complex problems associated with FM and CFS developed over a long period of time. With your commitment, I will work tirelessly to support your road to recovery every step of the way. Through a comprehensive treatment plan to detoxify and restore your hormonal and nutritional balance, numerous patients suffering with FM and CFS have experienced a new life and a new hope for a brighter productive future.
Bioidentical Hormone Therapy
Definition of Bioidentical Hormones?
Bioidentical hormones are almost identical to hormones the body makes naturally, molecule for molecule. You cannot purchase them at a regular pharmacies nor can pharmaceutical companies produce them because specificlly-made hormones cannot be patented. In most cases, they are compounded specifically for each individual patient in a special pharmacy, and only with a medical doctor’s prescription.
Here’s just a little information about each hormone:
- DHEA – This is the most abundant hormone in the human body, and it serves many different purposes. It is an important factor in the production of other hormones such as progesterone, testosterone and estrogen. It is an immune system booster and may also be helpful in treating autoimmune disease. DHEA has several other possible benefits. Although you can buy it over the counter, it is important that you know the purity and strength of the product before buying it. Wide variations are common in DHEA. If you should have any specific questions about DHEA, make sure to ask.
- ESTROGEN – This sex hormone, the female hormone, is actually comprised of three hormones. Until the onset of menopause, the ovaries produce estrogen. There are a number of conditions associated with low levels of estrogen, including arteriosclerosis and osteoporosis. A decrease in estrogen has also related to a decline in cognitive functioning. The anti-aging benefits of estrogen include decreased heart attacks and strokes, stronger bones, increased thickness of skin, improved memory, improved mucous membranes, and an increase in lifespan.
- PROGESTERONE – This is again considered a female hormone. The root components of the word (“pro” means “for” and “gesterone” means “gestation”) clearly point out the importance of this hormone. It is produced in four areas of the body; the ovaries, the corpus luteum (the ruptured follicle), the adrenal glands—and in pregnant women, the placenta. Progesterone is often used to treat PMS. It protects against uterine and breast cancers, osteoporosis, fibrocystic disease and ovarian cysts. Often synthetic progestin is used to replace natural progesterone and is accompanied by significant side effects.
- HGH – The Human Growth Hormone, is instrumental in causing growth and repair of skin, kidneys, muscles, among other organs. Levels of HGH rise dramatically throughout puberty, peak around 20 years, and then begin to slowly decline. The anti-aging benefits of this hormone are believed to increase energy levels and vitality, a reduction in body fat, an increase in muscle mass, thicker skin, better sleep, improvements in bone production, as well as an increase in lifespan.
- THYROID (T3 and/or T4) – These active thyroid hormones increase energy, as well as, metabolism and weight loss. They are also responsible for healthy hair, teeth, skin, and nails.
- CORTISOL – Helps mediate and deal with stress, appetite, energy, digestion, joint movement, inflammation and pain, decreases allergies and fever, enhances the immune system, aids in the stabilization of blood sugar.
- TESTOSTERONE – Men and women alike have testosterone, the male sex hormone. A sharp decline in testosterone should be taken seriously. Libido problems and impotency are associated with loss of this hormone. A number of anti-aging benefits are thought to be linked with testosterone. These include an increase in libido, increase in sexual potency, improvement in erections, better mood and feeling of contentment, decrease in fatigue, increase in red blood cells, reduced cholesterol, cardiac health, and increased bone strength.
- MELATONIN – The hormone melatonin is key in managing the body’s internal clock. Anti-aging benefits of melatonin may include better sleep, a more robust immune system, a more positive reaction to stress as well as a better sense of prosperity.
- PREGNENOLONE – Your body uses Pregnenolone to produce the hormones DHEA, cortisol, testosterone, progesterone, and estrogen. Having sufficient levels of pregnenolone is important to your cognitive ability. Pregnenolone may have anti-aging benefits, including stress reduction and lessening of arthritic inflammation, cognitive maintenance, better mood, as well as improved sleep patterns and a better sense of well-being.
Depending on an individual’s specific health needs, these bioidentical hormones and others may be prescribed to improve your health, well-being, and longevity.